Marriott Grosvenor Square
Golden Whistle Awards
The brainchild of Institution of Railway Operators luminary Chris Loder, the Golden Whistles event was founded in 2010 to promote best practice and celebrate excellence in railway operations. The annual event now incorporates a morning conference at which railway operators discuss developments aimed at improving operations, followed by a networking lunch and the handing out of the Golden Whistle awards for excellence in railway operating.
HOST: Dick Fearn
Formerly CEO, Irish Rail
Dick Fearn has 40 years’ senior management experience in the rail industry in Britain and Ireland. He served for 10 years as COO and then CEO of Iarnród Éireann (Irish Railways). With British Rail from 1973 to 1996, he had a number of rail operations roles, culminating in senior executive posts as the Divisional Director of the Thames & Chiltern Division and later the South Eastern Division of BR’s Network SouthEast. At the time of rail privatisation in the UK, Dick was appointed to the post of Managing Director of The South Eastern Train Company, subsequently moving to Railtrack plc as Zone Director of North West and later Midlands Zones.
The Golden Whistle awards – in which the trophies feature that archetypal element of efficient railway operating, the Acme Thunderer whistle – celebrate the best of railway operating and are handed out to those companies making the greatest strides in punctuality and other key indicators.
• Right time arrivals – Inter-city TOCs. Golden Whistle for best in class, Silver Whistle for most improved. Based on Network Rail moving annual average right time data to end of Period 9.
• Right time arrivals – London and South East TOCs. Golden Whistle for best in class, Silver Whistle for most improved. Based on Network Rail moving annual average right time data to end of Period 9.
• Right time arrivals – Regional TOCs. Golden Whistle for best in class, Silver Whistle for most improved. Based on Network Rail moving annual average right time data to end of Period 9.
• Freight performance – FOCs. Golden Whistle for best in class, Silver Whistle for most improved. Based on ‘A2F’ (Arrival to Fifteen) moving annual average scores of freight operating companies.
• Minimising delay minutes – operators. Golden Whistle for best in class, Silver Whistle for most improved. All TOCs and FOCs assessed for reduction in ‘TOC/FOC on self’ delays, moving annual average to end of Period 9.
• Minimising delay minutes – Network Rail Routes. Golden Whistle for best in class, Silver Whistle for most improved. All Routes assessed for delay minutes caused to all operators, moving annual average to end of Period 9.
• London Underground Line performance. All Lines assessed for reduction in lost customer hours to end of Period 9. Golden Whistle for most improved, Silver Whistle for second most improved.
• Outstanding Operator/Operating Team. Golden Whistle for an individual / operating team that has gone above and beyond in making a contribution.
• Special Award. Each year the IRO judging panel chooses an individual or team and awards a Golden Whistle for special acts of courage, selflessness or quick thinking.
HOW DO I ENTER?
Most of the Golden Whistle awards are made on the basis of statistical information compiled by the industry and do not require companies to enter. There is one category for which the winners are selected by a panel of IRO judges and for which entries are invited:
The Golden Whistle for the Best Individual Operator / Operating Team – awarded each year to an individual or team that has gone above and beyond in its contribution.
CALLING ALL OUTSTANDING OPERATORS!
Every year Golden Whistles are awarded to outstanding operators. Why not nominate your outstanding operator, or operating team for the next awards?
To nominate an individual or team for the 2020 awards click here.
- 09.00 to 12 noon Featuring papers on topical operating issues
GOLDEN WHISTLE AWARDS
- 12 noon Pre-lunch drinks
- 12.45 Guests enter the dining room for lunch
- 14.30 After-lunch speech
- 14.50 Dick Fearn presents the Golden Whistles awards
- 16.15 Close
TABLES AND SPONSORSHIP
Tables of 10 at this event cost £1400 +VAT, sponsorship details available on request. Contact Chris Shilling on 07736 635916 firstname.lastname@example.org